As summer is fast approaching, wearing makeup can feel some what draining in the heat and by the time you make it home from work, you look in the mirror to see mascara smeared on your eye bags, streaky foundation and smudged brows. What could be worse?!
Here are our quick tips to help you get through summer!
- Sometimes your face needs a break from constant coverage and the summer is the best time to dose up on vitamin D. Although some may say that this is easier said than done, especially if you have scarring or are prone to acne. I would recommend going for a tinted BB Cream instead of foundation, or if you’re not comfortable with going too bare, then try out a mineral powder foundation instead. Mineral foundations can be great for those with oily skin too, as they make your skin more matte, which will in essence reduce the chance of having mascara on your under eye area at the end of the day!
- Now, we aren’t saying go completely bare, but maybe scrap your heavy foundation for now and switch to simply applying a bronzer and highlighter to give you a stunning sun kissed look. If you find your skin can be a little dry, opt in for a liquid highlighter, such as the Liquid illuminators from Take Two Cosmetics.
- As the heat rises this summer, you’ll need to invest in a good brow product and waterproof mascara to prevent smudges! The Take Two Cosmetics deluxe brow cushion is waterproof and will keep your brows looking on fleek! You can find it here. You’ll also need a waterproof mascara to prevent your mascara from running onto your under eye area after a day out in the sun! Everyone has a different favourite mascara brush, so try to find a waterproof mascara with your favourite wand. Alternatively, you could buy any waterproof mascara and dip your favourite wand into it (just make sure it fits the cap).
- Water is a miracle in a bottle that is very underrated, but in fact the correct water intake is extremely beneficial. Water helps dissolve minerals and nutrients, which in aid helps your body to perform better. Despite removing toxins from your body, promoting weight loss and boosting your immune system, water also aids in clearing your skin and is even said to get rid of wrinkles!
- You’ll find that if you increase your water intake to the recommended amount of 2L each day, that you will start to see a huge improvement in your skin and your general wellbeing.
PROTECTING YOUR SKIN
- Sunscreen often gets forgotten on a daily basis, especially when we aren’t on holiday. However, not to worry as many of our moisturisers and foundations usually include SPF 30.
- You should apply SPF 30 before going out in the sun as exposure to UVA rays can have detrimental effects such as skin cancer. Recent studies have also shown how exposure to the sun affects our skin. For example, the below picture is of a truck driver whose left (our right) side of his face was exposed to sun over the years. The difference is huge and shows just how exposure to the sun can affect our skin,especially if we do not use sunscreen!
- As soon as i go on holiday, i usually try to get a hammam (Turkish Bath) done. This is where they scrub off all of your dead skin and it allows for you to get a better tan. Sounds gross but it is so good for your skin!
- The best thing is that you don’t need to fork out on an expensive exfoliator to get glowing skin, you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen!
1 tablespoon of coconut oil Half a lemon
2 tablespoon of sugar 2 tablespoons of sugar
Mix & apply on your face 1 tablespoon of honey
Mix & apply on your face
Cover image credit @tamarawilliams1